04/11/2018
François René Duchâble au piano, Sandrine Sutter, Mezzo-Soprano et la comédienne Céline Chéenne rendent hommage à une femme d'exception, une écrivain Christiane Singer au travers de son roman "Seul ce qui brûle" Dimanche 4 novembre 2018 17h   Un apéritif vous sera offert en compagnie des artistes lors de l'entracte. Prix 30 € ou 35 chf, demi-tarif pour les enfants de moins de 18 ans.   Réservation (les places ne sont pas numérotées) :   A travers notre fiche de  réservation sur ce site . A l'entrée le jour du concert dans la limite des places disponibles.  Retrait des places 30 minutes avant la séance.     
HomeChartreuseHistory

An Historic
Edifice

 

Some important dates in the history
of the Chartreuse Notre-Dame de Pomier

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1170

The Chartreuse Notre-Dame de Pomier was founded thanks to a donation by Guillaume, the 1st Count of Geneva and Vaud.
Some historians believe that a Priory, whose main room was almost certainly the cellars, may have already existed before the Chartreuse. Amongst other buildings, the Chartreuse de Pomier included within its walls: the Notre Dame de Pomier church, three chapels, the twelve Chartreux cells disposed around the grand cloister where the Chartreux were buried along with family members of the Counts of Geneva and Vaud.
 
Ninety one Priors succeeded at the head of the Chartreuse. During its existence, the Chartreuse welcomed a host of famous visitors such as Emperor Sigismond and Charles IV. The latter placed the monastery under the protection of the Holy Roman Empire, represented by a sealed bull in 1366

 

1793 

The Chartreuse was plundered during the Revolution; books and manuscripts from the richly endowed library were burnt in front of the small cloister. The Chartreuse was practically abandoned for almost one hundred years and many of its buildings were demolished. The bells of the Notre-Dame de Pomier Church were taken away to Carouge where one of them still rings out in the Sainte-Croix Church on the market square.

 

1894 

The Chartreuse was purchase from the Baron of Drée by Jérémie Girod of Beaumont who saved the main building from falling into ruins and converted it into a 40 room hotel and restaurant. The Hôtel Pension de l'Abbaye de Pomier, as it was called, continued to do business until the end of 1991.

 

2001

Claude Girod, the great grandson of Jérémie Girod, inaugurated the Medieval Cellars and the Renaissance Lounges on the ground floor. The Chartreuse was renovated and transformed by Catherine Girod and Kevin Gaughran, keeping and restoring the original aspects of the Chartreuse whilst adding a touch of modernity.
 
The proprietor decided to drop the inappropriate name of Abbaye de Pomier, as it had been known as since the Renaissance, and restored the original name of ‘Chartreuse Notre-Dame de Pomier’. The Chartreuse de Pomier has since been classed as a heritage site due to its historical background and exceptional environmental qualities
 
 
N.B.
The word ‘pomier’ is derived from the latin ‘pro murus’ which means: «outside the walls»
This is why the correct spelling is Chartreuse de Pomier. 
 
Mentions légales
 
La Chartreuse de Pomier, 27 Allée des Chartreux - Pomier, 74160 Présilly, France
Tél. : +33 (0)4 50 04 50 53